(DATES OF ALL CENTERS ARE LISTED ON THE EVENTS CALENDAR)
The purpose of the Iowa Music Teachers Association Pre-College Piano Festivals is the promotion of confident performance. The Festivals provide a performance opportunity in which the student or teacher may demonstrate his/her performance ability and receive written or oral assistance from the judge.
Participants in piano festivals must be either teachers or students of teachers holding membership in IMTA/MTNA by SEPTEMBER 1 of the year in which the students are to participate. You must be a current member of IMTA to participate in non-competitive events. Non-members are ineligible to enter students. Since this is not a competition, there are no age limits or previous study requirements.
SOLO REPERTOIRE REQUIREMENTS
- Entrants will play one or more selections from the current IMTA repertoire list in the category of their choice and in the level of their choice. Entrants may also perform one selection not on the list. This includes original compositions.
- All repertoire must be performed from memory.
- A copy of each composition (with measures numbered) must be brought to the judge. No reproductions of copyrighted music may be given to the judge.
- There are no theory or keyboard proficiency tests.
ENSEMBLE REPERTOIRE REQUIREMENTS
- Students may choose one or more ensemble pieces from the following classifications: 1) Baroque, 2) Classical or Romantic, 3) Impressionistic or Contemporary.
- Repertoire need not be from memory.
- A legal copy of each composition (with measures numbered) must be brought to the judge. No reproductions of copyrighted music may be given to the judge.
OPEN OR CLOSED SESSIONS
Performers have the choice of playing in an “open session” where anyone is free to listen or in a “closed session” where only the judge and persons invited by the performer will be present.
REGISTRATION AND FEES
- Registrations are online and should be filled out completely before your registration deadline. Festival dates and registration deadlines can be found online in your dashboard and in the current fall issue of the Iowa Music Teacher Magazine.
- Fees will be determined by the IMTA Executive Board and will be printed in the Iowa Music Teacher and in the festival materials. Fees must accompany the registration forms by the registration deadline date.
- No refunds will be made to any teacher or student by the festival chairperson after the application deadline date has expired.
- Teachers may choose the festival center that they prefer to use. Although it is not required, it is most often the center used for district auditions as well.
- Teachers entering students in a festival are expected to attend and assist with administrative duties.
- An out-of-state teacher wishing to enter an Iowa student in IMTA festivals must hold current Iowa membership.
For more information, contact the IMTA State Festival chair at email@example.com
IMTA Festival Contact